Towards a Simpler WinCairo Build


For the past couple of years, anyone interested in trying to build the WinCairo port of WebKit had to track down a number of support libraries, place them in their development environment's include (and link search) paths, and then cross their fingers and hope everything built.

To make things a little easier, I wrapped up the libraries and headers I use for building and posted them as a zip file on my .Mac account. This made things a little easier, but you still had to figure out where to drop the files and figure out if I had secretly updated my 'requirements.zip' file without telling anyone. Not ideal.

A couple of days ago, while trolling through the open review queue, I ran across a Bug filed by Carl Lobo, which automated the task of downloading the requirements file when running build-webkit --wincairo. This was a huge improvement!

Today, I hijacked Carl's changes and railroaded the patch through the review process (making a few modifications along the way):

  • I renamed my requirements file WinCairoRequirements.zip.

  • I added a timestamp file, so that build-webkit --wincairo can check to see if the file changed, and download it if necessary.

  • I propagated Carl's changes to update-webkit, so that now by adding the --wincairo argument it will update the WinCairoRequirements file.


I'm really excited about this update. If you've been wanting to try out the WinCairo port of WebKit, this would be a great time to try it out. I'd love to hear your experiences!

Comments

Carl Lobo said…
Hi Brent,
I unfortunately no longer work on WebKit (I've changed jobs since I wrote that). Thanks for picking it up and moving it forward. It's great to have had the chance to work on WinCairo and I'm very happy the script was of some use.
This idea is too gorgeous,I was really exited with his news.
Thanks for posting.

Construction Job Descriptions
llothar said…
The link is not working anymore.
oviano said…
I just built Webkit WinCairo and it appears that a number of DLLs are missing from the WinCairoRequirements zip.

For example, zlib1.dll, icuuc40.dll, libxml2.dll, and a bunch of others.

Also, the executable requires msvcr90.dll, but this is part of the VS2008 redistributable, whereas the build instructions for WinCairo all relate to VS2005.

This is on a Windows 7 machine, and a fresh checkout of the Webkit trunk, followed by the update script (with --wincairo) and the build script (with --wincairo --release).
bfulgham said…
The WinCairo requirements ZIP file contains a delta to the standard libraries supplied by Apple (which consists of zlib1.dll, icuuc40.dll, etc.)

If you install Safari, they will be on your system in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support"

I generally keep a "WebKit_SDK" ZIP file available that contains the full set of support libraries (as well as WebKit) build for VS 2008.

I will be updating this to VS 2010 in the next few months.
bfulgham said…
Sorry about the broken link -- I updated the ZIP file and it generated a new web link. I've fixed the post.

Note:
"update-webkit --wincairo" will always grab the right ZIP file and unpack it in the appropriate place; you don't need to download it yourself.
oviano said…
Great, thanks for the info.

I'll give that a go.
maddy said…
i can't download this zip file..pls share me!

Construction Job Responsibilities
maddy said…
I'm really very impressed to read this post! thanks for sharing!

Construction Resume Objectives

Popular Posts