Musings on C#

Well, you don't have to be Paul Graham to get good e-mail from Michael Vanier. While trading notes on C# recently, he gave me a quote I just had to post:

I have mixed feelings about C#. My general problem with it, apart from the ever-present low level of abstraction, is that there are too many damned rules to remember. Considered individually, they all make sense, but the net effect is like memorizing the telephone book. Things should just flow from basic principles instead of having the "you're just not allowed to do that" quality.


While I like to poke fun at C# (though I must use it every day at work), I must admit the it's not the only language that suffers from this.

Probably the only languages that do map from basic principles are the Lisp family, Smalltalk, and Haskell.

Popular Posts