Yes, I am Lame

The other day as I was sorting through the masses of scrap paper on my desk, trying to find a phone number, I decided to finally make the leap into organization vis-a-vis the Palm world. My needs were simple: Something to store addresses and phone numbers that I could sync to my Linux system. I wanted something cheap (around $100), reliable, and easy to use. I had made the mistake of buying a Helio at one point, which only held a charge for about an hour's use with its two AAA batteries.

So, I decided that whatever I got must be a well-known, branded product running PalmOS. Based on my price point, this meant I needed to get the Palm Zire. So I marched off to Staples to have a look.

However, once there I found that the Clie SJ20 was on clearance for about the same price after a mail-in rebate. Hmmm. That would give me more memory (the Zire only has a puny 2 Megs or RAM, of which 1 Meg is used by Palm OS 4). Of course, it would be really efficient if the handheld could also double as an MP3 player. But, that would violate my $100 limit. But 1 Meg of available memory is probably to small, so the Zire sounds like a bad idea. What to do...

My solution? I ended up buying the Palm Tungsten T (on sale since the C or M or T2 or whatever has just come out) for over twice my budget. But it does play MP3's, and it has a color screen. And it can communicate with Bluetooth.

TUNGSTEN | T

So far it's great. I've had it about a week, and I actually use it. And the battery lasts a very long time -- I'm pretty happy with it, and I can even link up with my Linux box via bluetooth. Cool!

Popular Posts