Clueless Websites at Christmas

So, I'm trying to purchase a few niceties from Williams-Sonoma, a wonderful cooking site. But my Linux machine can't connect, though I can get there from my work box. After lots of poking around reading TCP packets between my machine and WS, I discover that they are rejecting all of my connection attempts because my system (properly) includes ECN information in the packets it sends.

ECN (Early Congestion Notification) is a current RFC blessed by the IEC for helping to reduce congestion and better balance load over the internet. Williams-Sonoma must really be running some old firewall software to be complaining about this (since it was ratified back in 2001). I sent them a nasty-gram about the business they are probably losing from people staying up-to-date with Internet Protocols.

Bah, Humbug.

Popular Posts