Updated Build

I haven't posted much recently, but rest assured I am continuing to work on WebKit in a variety of areas. I found (and corrected) a few issues in the libcurl backend, but you were only likely to run into them if you were working a lot with local files (e.g., stuff in your filesystem) which happens to be something I'm doing a lot of right now. The build now contains corrections for these items.

At the moment, I am working on making it easier for people to use WebKit in projects without having to invest massive amounts of time to figure out how to build the framework themselves.

To that end, I am ditching the separate Debug and Release bundles I had been producing, and am paring things down to a single WebKitSDK zip file, which contains the Debug and Release binaries in a single package. I first had to modify WebKit to emit dll's with "_debug" names so that everything could coexist peacefully in a single bin folder. Now that this is all bundled together, I have removed the original Debug and Release-only zip files from my iDisk.

Now that I've got that finished up, I'm going to focus on shrinking the runtime dependencies by trying to link more of the components statically. I am also trying to get the libcurl support into a background worker to improve throughput.

Of course, if any of you have more pressing concerns, let me know or file a bug!

Comments

Unknown said…
Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot a problem with the side-by-side? I get this error when running winlauncher.exe on Vista:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Hi Brent,

I hope that the e-mail on shrinking dependencies, I sent to you back in July can be of some help and you won't need to go through the whole process again :)
bfulgham said…
The Win SxS stuff might be because Microsoft released a raft of Visual Studio updates about a week ago. If you haven't installed the update (or at least the redistributable installer) you won't have the most up-to-date runtime library.

Usually Windows Update will install this for you.
bfulgham said…
Miha,

Your e-mail was definitely helpful. I plan to post another entry soon outlining some of the issues from my perspective.

We might need to create a new release target for minimal dependencies...
Anonymous said…
I also could not run WinLauncher on my system. I verified that I was up to date through Windows Update. I found a security update to the VC 2005 redistributable package.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=766a6af7-ec73-40ff-b072-9112bab119c2&displaylang=en

After installing this update, everything works fine.

Popular Posts