Core Builder!

Several months ago I posted to report that I had built and activated a WebKit BuildSlave. I'm pleased to report that our Build Slave is all grown up, and has been promoted to Core Builder status.

Fundamentally, nothing has really changed. It's just as easy for an errant check-in to cause the build to break. But on a social level this promotion is quite meaningful. It indicates that we (alas, the "Royal We") claim that the WinCairo port is an active, viable version of WebKit. Core builder status also helps apply social pressure for external developers to keep the WinCairo build green, as it is very poor form to break the build.

Now that we've reached this new lofty tier of project visibility, I'm hopeful that we will see fewer build failures. We will almost certainly get better feedback when the build is failing, and probably get help from parties interested in keeping the tree green.

I'm very excited about this change, and I hope you'll keep an eye on things to see how they progress!

Comments

Unknown said…
Congratulation, but don't be too enthusiastic about the core builder status. I had the same feeling with my WinCE bot, but I still need to fix most of the build errors myself. You will still get "oh, I didn't know that there's a builder" after many weeks of being a core builder.

Popular Posts