Transparent Windows


Recently I've been hard at work reviving some old code originally written by the Appcelerator team. I tried to improve on the initial design by building the feature into the WebKit library itself. This reduces the need for clients of this functionality to have to figure out exactly how to construct their windows, and perform the layered window drawing logic.

With this patch in place, you can create 'chromeless' WebKit windows that you can fill with whatever rendering content you like. For example, you can tell WebKit to fill your entire desktop with a WebView that points at a copy of the awesome Snowstack implementation. Of course, to get a transparent view you have to be able to set the background color to something semi- (or fully) transparent. Consequently, I had to mirror Snowstack on a server I had access to so I could adjust the background. The screenshot shows the result of this effort.

I'm hoping to get the changes approved and landed soon, once I've created a decent example program that can be landed in the tree.

Oh, by the way, this change works on the Apple version of WebKit as well!

Comments

Popular Posts