Windows 7 Request

I've recently started enjoying Windows 7 at the office, and I must say I am very pleased. There is a huge difference in performance (at least running under VMWare) when compared to Vista. In fact, I'm now fairly spoiled and find working in Vista to be absolutely horrible! :-)

I was lucky enough to have someone donate a brand new copy of Windows Vista to me in July, which I've been using for WebKit hacking on the weekends. It's been a huge help, allowing me to finish up the recent -webkit-box-shadow coding and tests. Alas, now that I've been exposed to Windows 7, I'm a bit ruined! I'd love to upgrade to Windows 7, but the current upgrade options are price prohibitive ($119 for an upgrade).

I had hoped that a new Vista box purchased in July would make me eligible for some kind of low price upgrade, but apparently not.

If anyone has an inside scoop on whether there might be cheaper upgrade options, I'd love to hear them. Maybe there's a great deal I'm missing somewhere? Also, since I have a 64-bit machine I'd really like to start using Windows 7 64-bit, as that is where most new development will now be focused.

I run Vista inside a virtual machine (since I also do Mac development). I was curious if anyone has any experience with the VMWare Fusion 3 software, specifically if the performance is noticeably improved on Snow Leopard?

Comments

Niko said…
A German court has ordered that the re-sales of boxed system builder-versions is legal. See http://www.heise.de/meldung/Microsoft-muss-im-OEM-Streit-Niederlage-einstecken-29554.html .

Hence, it is legally sold here: http://www.geizkragen.de/suche/system-builder%20windows%207
Sandy said…
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/11/vmware-fusion-3-review.ars/1
M Jackson said…
Look for an OEM version of windows 7. www.ZipZoomFly.com has great prices. Just grabbed Windows 7 x64 Pro Full install DVD for $139. Home Premium is way cheaper.
Anonymous said…
Hi Brent. I use VMware Fusion now and again, mostly just to test IE. Since upgrading to version 3, I played some multiplayer Colonization and it kept up fine. I've seen reviews claimining it's faster in several areas (startup, DirectX, etc.) but I haven't used 2 much on this particular computer, so I can't say how much is due to the upgrade and how much is just better hardware. I do know you can now allocate 2 or 4 cores to the VM.
If you have access to a .edu email address. You can get a copy of Win 7 Pro for $30.
Unknown said…
I noticed a big improvement in performance running Windows 7 under VMware Fusion 3, compared to Fusion 2. Definitely recommend the upgrade. For me it went from barely usable to usable, so performance is not screaming (iMac, 3.06 Ghz core duo, 7200 RPM HD, 4 GB RAM)

Popular Posts